The Huron Island Lighthouse, constructed in 1868, still stands today
atop Huron Island, the second largest island of the Huron Islands
chain in southern Lake Superior. The lighthouse was built to
guide vessel traffic between Marquette and Pequaming, and between
the L'Anse/Baraga and Houghton/Hancock ports via the Portage entry
in the state of Michigan.
The lighthouse is approximately three miles north of Huron Point and
the Huron Mountains, some twenty miles east of the Keweenaw Peninsula.
Graced by regional history and natural beauty, the Huron Island Lighthouse
has long been considered a local historic treasure.
No public access to the islands is available at this time. Local
residents and visitors take private boats out to the islands.
Those who travel to the islands should be familiar with the surrounding
waters and be aware of the location of reefs before attempting to
navigate a landing on the islands.
The Huron Island Lighthouse Preservation Association (HILPA) is a
non-profit organization dedicated to preserving the historical and
architectural features of the lighthouse and adjacent properties for
future generations. HILPA was organized by local residents in
January of 1999 in response to growing concern over the condition
of the lighthouse and its adjacent buildings. Over the years,
the structure and foundation of the lighthouse have been eroded by
the elements, fire, and vandalism. If the lighthouse is
to be saved, restoration work must begin soon. Once HILPA has
completed a feasibility study to determine which restoration projects
are most pressing, it will prioritize those repairs that need to be
completed. We expect that some of our most immediate goals will
be repairs on the lighthouse roof and vents and stabilization of the